Sunday 12 June 2011

An Artist's Date in my new neighborhood - pictures

Just moved into The ARC (Artist Resource Center) a work/life studio building located in east Vancouver. There are about 100 artists living and creating here and truly this is a wonderful place to be!

Since being here for a little over a week I've had the chance to meet a number of my fellow artist/tenants and received a very warm welcome on my move in day! It's an exciting step in many ways for expanding myself and my daughter's lives in seeing what's possible, how other people live and learning a new part of the city.

As a gesture of self care after the big move I decided to take an *Artist's Date for myself - go for a walk, bring my camera, and shoot some picture of the industrial landscape which I now call home. Check it out...

* Artist's Date: scroll down to page 18 of The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron

Outside The Arc building.

Love the colours.

Lots of industry. Don't know what they are doing
but they make a lot of noise and sometimes it really stinks here!
(gotta a super duper air filter!)

Sweet little kitty cat on someone's front door step. No pets allowed at The Arc. One day I will have a studio cat. I sure miss our old cats!

Love the rust colours, metal textures and wear on this old building.
This could inspire a painting!

Same building but further back. I really liked the contrast of the metallic/rust coloured building to the yellow one on its right. So much art everywhere!

At artist builds a garden right outside his studio! Beautiful.

Good old Vancouver sky: clouds, clouds and more clouds.

Just like the colours and the shapes here.

Graffiti art how liberating!




Like the dark browns with the mint green. Colours look beautiful together.

More of this because I got enamored with the cute old white rickety building on the right.
Reminds me of the poetry/art book called "Top of my lungs" by Natalie Goldberg where she painted images of buildings with windows. Loved those paintings.

Looking through train carts to the old sugar refinery building in the background. Beautiful brick and arched windows all boarded up.

City view.
This is the area where the big tankers dock and unload their cargo. believe me, when the unloading happens you can hear it - always lots going on here with the trains coming and going. Love the colours of the crates and the glimpses of the ocean.


Our backyard.


The view from the back stairwell.

More industrial shots taken from my 7th floor window.

The view from my main window. I love it!


Docker's Diner down the road. Apparently, says my beautiful new neighbors Heather and marie, it makes a killer breakfast.

No comments: