Friday 26 October 2007

Just home from Vancouver and settling back in, unpacking, cleaning house and ventured a peak into to the studio. First morning back and I wasn’t intending to do any work. Just take a look, see what I had in process. So one thing led to another and off I was painting again…just like that.


Well, there were a few things – tricks - in place that made it happen, I want to share those with you.

The first big trick is called “bridging”. The concept is that you leave your materials and project out in a way that allows you to come back in and start working again easily. For me I have a central place in my studio where all the basics are located and easily accessible.

Take a look at the photo at the bottom of this blog. I use a lot of stuff, so there is, well, a lot of stuff always out on the counter next to the sink in my studio. But the basics would apply to most painters – paper towels, water, garbage can, brushes, tools, current painting palette, gels and mediums ( if applicable), paper and notepad. They are on the counter and easily accessible purposefully, ready to go.

When all the tools are available the minute I get an idea for the next step of the painting, not much gets in the way between me reaching for paint, brush and water…so it’s easy to get started and back in the swing of things. I would say bridging is synonymous with ‘being organized’.

Another not so tricky trick is having good studio habits. I usually paint in the mornings, or at least go see what I’m doing to get ideas flowing. So, it’s no surprise really that even a day after getting back from vacation I’m back working because it’s my usual habit to go to the studio in the morning.

Lastly, I have a little framed reminder list in my studio about getting back into a project when we may be feeling a little resistant, slugging, unenthused, blocked, or out of touch with the work ..

Deb’s getting started shortlist



  1. Look what I’ve done already!



  2. Put materials that night before.



  3. Schedule 15 minutes the same time teach day for the project



  4. Set small goals or intention and write this on a sticky note next to the project materials. (ex. Glaze with green gold)



  5. Journal about what I’m working on and where I’m stuck and where I could use some help to move forward.



  6. Set low expectations for myself – today I’ll do a shitty rough draft, an imperfect under layer with lost of mistakes.



Supplies ready to go - buckets, soap, brushes, paints (current colour palette), mediums, pens, pencils, palette knives, garbage, folded paper towels, water spray, alcohol spray, sponse, sand, notebook.



No comments: