Sunday 2 September 2007

River Rocks

Lately I have been re-reading the Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron as one of the required books for the Kaizen Muse Creativity Coaching Certification program. It's definitely taking me down memory lane as I think it was about 10 years ago when I got my first copy and did the 12 week program. Anyways, before leaving on the Nahanni River trip, I finished a chapter where at the end one of the tasks was to find a rock (or two?) for fun, for beauty, for a reminder I can carry anywhere in my pocket. (This task is page 113 on my copy of the Artist’s Way)

I’d forgotten all about this task during the trip when Jackie, part of river group, starting collecting the most beautiful rocks along the river bank during a stop for lunch. Wow, art in rocks! The shapes, colors, lines, and textures were beautiful and then the Artist’s Way exercise came back to me and I thought, what the heck, I’d start my own little river rock collection!

Here’s a photo of a journal sketch I made during the trip of river rocks and their beautiful colors- especially when the rocks are still wet. And I’ve included a photo of the rocks I ended up finding on the tripa lso. They now have a special place in my studio, next to my little Inukshuk, on the window sill. The river rocks remind me of the energy I get from being out on the land, fully in nature. They remind me of a great trip, good times with my Dad and my husband. They remind me of beauty and they add delight in my studio.

No comments: