Tuesday 24 April 2012

Artist's Date: Streets of Philedelphia

An artist's date walking the streets of Philedelphia...



In March I had $400 credit with Air Canada and a deadline to use-it-or-lose-it so to speak towards a flight anywhere. I actually had no clue as to where I wanted to go to. Honestly, I have been so happy/busy in my home studio and settling into life in Vancouver with new friends, the ARC, the great outdoors, fun with my little girl, painting, teaching -- I actually was not inspired to go anywhere! (unusual for me as in the past I have been an avid traveler and adventure seeker!)

Well, With 2 weeks before the air credit expired a friend from Philadelphia serendipitously called and basically said in not so many words; "when the heck are you going to come out and visit?". I booked a ticket right after our talk and finally made it back east in mid March!

Here are some photos snapped along the streets of philedelphia during the first few days of my visit. I was really taken with the brick, lots and lots of brick !! and the beautiful door ways. The streets actually reminded me of London, England. So I spent the first few days of my vacation waling around a lot, writing in my journal and well, that's it....

Doors, streets, bricks and windows were what inspired me these first few days walking around South Philly.

Yes, I love wrought iron and painted doors and red brick with white window trim. So quaint!

All the brick and house styles reminded me of being in London, England!

This image/scene reminds me of one of Natalie Goldberg's paintings.

Didn't really see a whole lot of people riding bikes but I liked this image of the bicycles all lined up parallel to the street.

Beautiful old church.


Inside a cafe, several of which I enjoyed writing my three long hand morning pages. Just loved the old eroded textured walls and - of course - more brick!


Beautiful old buildings. These could definetly inspire paintings!


Yes I'm a sucker for fresh flowers! always !


Love the torquoise and red brick colours together...beautiful.

I love interesting doors and windows.


Another one of hte cafes where I wrote in the morning before walking around. Had some really nice green tea there and met a parking enforcement officer who told me stories of his two little girls and how into playing sports they were. Seems this is a big part of life in Philly - the sports! 

There were these signs everywhere along the street where they would sahre information about a famous person from PHilly and tell you about them.


Most of my walking as in south  Philly area but I made it downtown also.

They are in the backgorund but I love those currogated iron doors with light green blue painted on them in contrast to the brick!

No comments: