Tuesday 21 December 2010

Inside a workshop with Deb Chaney

I've had numerous inquiries over the last several months with questions about the workshops I offer. Emails asking about what type of art students create in class (wow! check it out!), if there are demonstrations (yes tons!), if there is lots of time to work (of course!) and so on...

My answer is best illustrated by sharing photos from inside workshops spanning August thru November 2010.

Thank you for all your interest and --- for those that take the leap, sign up and join me on the journey of creating art---- see you soon! register@debchaney.com --- workshop details at: http://www.debchaney.com/debchaney/Workshops.html

A Big Thank you to Lynne Oliver for photos of myself teaching.

During the course of a workshop, you will often experience and see the progression of a small painting with layering and other techniques presented. This is fun to see paintings evolve. Check out the finished painting here: http://www.debchaney.com/debchaney/Art_Portfolio/Pages/Little_Gems.html#5

I really enjoy doing demonstrations and sharing my passion and often feel like I am doing a one woman cooking show. It can get pretty crazy sometimes!

Scrubbing away at a painting to show a technique.

I will often use my own art practice pieces in critique in class to illustrate my thought process in terms of what I am going to do next on this piece and why.

I can get very animated!

Some workshops with less people everyone gets a table and we can all really spread out which is nice.
A students works with GOLDEN liquid acrylics practicing overlapping frames design and glazing with polymer medium and paint.

I was so astounded at this piece of work that "student" Anni Hunt gave it to me! Unbelievably this was her first experience working with paint.

Working on projects... I've often had students glare at me unconsciously when I let them know they've got a few more minutes of working time before the next demonstration! They get so into their art work it's awesome!

New York City building emerging from a horizontal overlapping frames abstract piece. It was fun to see this piece develop.

one word: wow. I love the use of colour here.

This was the October 31st workshop, hence the halloween hat!

Beautiful student abstract landscape pieces!

getting started glazing, layering and trusting with the flow of art making here!

Wow, students simply blow me away with their creations!


Often, the first exercise in the workshop is a "copy cat"...students pick an abstract painting image from a magazine or book and use it as inspiration or directly copy it to get the creative juices flowing.

I encourage students to work on many pieces at a time!

Laying pieces in progress out to dry.

Another version of abstract lanscapes, no two are alike.


I often give students specific projects to learn certain techniques and concepts. Here Holly is working hard on the Patchwork assignment.

Lots of water available to keep painting and not have to stop. Go Aubrey!

Molly's in her groove. You can see the workbook next to her. We follow that for the entire "Energizing and Experimental Abstract Painting ( INTRO) class in acrylics and mixed media" so students don't have to worry about taking copious notes...it's all in the book.



I get inspired every time I teach! Love seeing what students come up with!

You will have FUN!
I always make a point of sharing my SMIGLs ritual at the end of each workshop. What were your Successes, Magic Moments, Intuitions, Gratitudes and Learnings today? Write them down!

register@debchaney.com

2011 workshop schedule is now up! http://www.debchaney.com/debchaney/Workshops.html




No comments: