Thursday 4 November 2010

Getting ready for the East End Culture Crawl...


I am slowly but surely getting ready for the East Side Culture Crawl. In preparations the organizers have asked us to provide various materials for the media and to educate visitors to out work and backgrounds. Here are some public relations pieces I have put together recently for that purpose. For full details on the locations and times of my open studio, pls see the previous blog post. Thank you.

Here is the piece that (fingers crossed) will be submitted in the Red Book.. . a binder kept at the information kiosk for the Crawl so that visitors can thumb through it and see what studios they might like to visit.

By the way... the images you see in this poster are all 9 x 12" and all originals and for sale at my studio. My guess is these will go fast so be there friday night 6pm!


A behind the scenes visual of what goes into my paintings...
All the details about myself as an artist, this OPEN STUDIO event, artist statement, blah blah blah! :)

“ I am excited to be participating in The Crawl for the first time and am honored to have spent this year working alongside my studio mates at The Old Foundry Building”

-Deb Chaney


New to The Crawl

This is Deb Chaney’s first year participating in The Crawl as she recently moved back to her hometown of Vancouver after spending a decade pursuing her craft in Southern California.


The Exhibit

Large and small works from the last five years of painting will be on exhibit and available for sale. Deb will also be unveiling a special series of paintings developed in partnership with Vancouver sound artist Gregory Rosa to visually accompany the CD release FULL MOON FROG POND.


Artist Bio

Deb Chaney is an elected member of the Society of Canadian Artists, since 2007. She has been painting for over ten years both large and small layered mixed media abstract paintings on canvas and paper.


Her work is exhibited at SWITCH Boutique in Beverly Hills and Castle Estate Dealers of Kerrisdale in Vancouver. Deb was recently commissioned by RainMaker Films, Inc. and her art is held by private collectors throughout the world.


She is predominantly self-taught, she has enjoyed privilege of studying with several prominent Californian artists such as Ann Baldwin, Bob Burridge, and Adolfo Girala.


Deb is also a published writer. She is the author of The Little Inspiration Book, Ideas to Empower Women [2000. Trafford Publishing.] and a contributing author to Sand in my Bra, Funny Women Write From the Road [2002. Traveler’s Tales Publishing].


As well as maintaining her own studio practice, she teaches Illuminate the Artist Within™ workshops, and weekly abstract painting classes at Brock House Community Center in Vancouver.


Artist Statement

I create large contemporary abstract paintings, rich in texture, with many intriguing layers of mixed media, acrylics, liquid metals, iridescent powders, sand, and collage elements. My creative process begins with inspiration from nature.


Sometimes I gather raw materials such as sand to include in my work. I begin each piece by journaling and making sketches about the initial inspiration and its essence. When I paint I let the painting guide me—“listening” to the piece in progress--and allowing it to guide me to its next step. I paint with large sky flow brushes, palette knives, sea sponges, sturdy workshop rags, and even my fingers and sleeves.


No comments: